Caleruega (Burgos)

The origin of Caleruega goes back to the High Middle Ages, in the times of the repopulation movement of the 10th century promoted by the Castilian counts in their attempt to colonize the no-man's land existing between the south of Castile and the north bank of the Duero River. In 1170 Santo Domingo de Guzmán, founder of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans), was born here. The importance of this religious order made Caleruega grow over the centuries thanks to its monastery - begun to be built in 1266 by order of Alfonso X el Sabio - and the privileges granted by the kings.

 
Visiting Caleruega

With more than 400 inhabitants, Caleruega is a dynamic and at the same time peaceful village with numerous services for the traveler (gas station, shops, accommodation, restaurants, medical service, pharmacy, etc.).


Its center has an important historical and artistic heritage, including the Romanesque church of San Sebastián, the Monastery of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, and the Convent of Santo Domingo, where the defensive tower of the Guzmanes is located. On leaving the village, the traveler has to visit the equestrian statue of El Cid and touch the crow, symbol of good luck according to the Song of el Cid. Before, the most daring ones can walk up to the Peña de San Jorge: it dominates the entire village and offers a spectacular view of the region. In its surroundings there are late-medieval archaeological remains (10th century), with the characteristic necropolis of "bathtub".

 

Also, you can not miss ...
  • The route of the "loberas" (shepherds' shelter). In addition to its interesting urban area, Caleruega has a pleasant circular route for all public of about 10 km where the traveler will have the opportunity to discover interesting resources linked to the natural and historical heritage. The stroller will visit three restored "tenadas" converted into an interpretation center on steppe birds and transhumance. The tenadas were a kind of covered corrals where the herds were protected from the attacks of the wolves or the inclemency of the weather. There are also old "loberas" - traditional stone shelters where the shepherds slept - fountains and recreational areas to rest. One of the main attractions of this route are the 13th-century medieval cellars carved in the rock and a vulture feeder that will delight children due to the proximity of these carrion birds.

For more information about possible visits, please contact the Tourism Office of Caleruega.

Warning. This text has been translated with the help of automated translation software. It will be replaced by a professional human translation as soon as possible. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Useful information

Rev.ALC: 13.09.18