Former collegiate church of Nuestra Señora del Mercado (Ex Colegiata), Berlanga de Duero

Location:

Plaza Luis López Pando, 12. Berlanga de Duero

Phone:

975 343 433 - Tourist Info of Berlanga de Duero

National Monument since 1931.

The collegiate church of Santa María del Mercado was built over the period of four years (1526-1530) by the architect Juan de Rasines with a Gothic-Renaissance style. It contains three central extremely tall central naves and a transept, strong cylindrical columns that hold the domes with fine tracery.

This collegiate church set an example for many other churches due to its open-concept floor plan and the purity of its lines. The major chapel, in the shape of a Greek cross, is accompanied by other eight enclosed chapels with simple rib vaulting. Out of these chapels, one that stands out is the chapel of Coria which has an octagonal floor plan and it contains a Renaissance style central tomb of the family Bravo de Laguna.

The collegiate is also rich in art, of which it is worth mentioning the tableaus and carvings in the chapels of Santa Ana and the Coria from the 15th and 16th centuries, respectively. The main altar is headed by a carving of Nuestra Señora del Mercado, a Tardoroman sculpture that dates back to the 12th century.

Besides the art and architecture, one can also be awed by a stuffed crocodile hung on the wall that Fray Tomás de Berlanga brought back from the Galapagos Islands, archipelago that he himself discovered.

Visit: Book your visit calling the Tourist Information Office at +34 975 343 433, or Town Hall at +34 975 343 011.

Source: Soria ni te la imaginas

Rev.: JGG 29.10.18