Medieval Wall of San Esteban de Gormaz

Location:

Valladolid Avenue, 3. San Esteban de Gormaz

Phone:

975 350 292 - Tourist Office

Scarce remains, scattered throughout the village, of the old medieval wall. It begun to be built in the 10th century and reinforced by the additions of Arabs and Christians. Originally the wall descended by the slopes of the castle until embracing and protecting the old part of the town, alternating the linen with defensive towers - quadrangular and semicircular- and access doors. The wall was pentagonal in shape.

The most significant remains would be the tower of the door of the Rastro (recognizable by the 16th century of the Marquis of Villena and Count of San Esteban coat of arms); those of the tower of Posadillas street, with stone of masonry laboriously worked; those of the nave of the door of San Gregorio or the remains of Calle Pescadores.

In the Plaza Mayor is the arch of the town or Puerta de Castilla, the main access in medieval times that connected the heart of San Esteban with the bridge. It can be recognized by the shield that is in the interior part, with the coat of arms of Don Diego López Pacheco, count of San Esteban (1501-1529).

Visit: Free.

WarningThe following text has been translated with the help of automated translation software. It will be replaced by a professional human translation as soon as possible.

ALC: 25.07.18