Way of El Cid: routes on MTB
The Way of El Cid for mountain bikes, all-terrain bikes, cross country bikes and all mountain bikes is 1509 km long. It is separated into 7 routes that are joined together, each of between 49 and 313 km.
29” hybrid or trekking bikes with knobs can also travel along this route, although for the most difficult sections we recommend taking the cycling tourism route along minor roads.
The MTB route follows 88% of the hiking route. The remaining 12% is covered along signposted MTB alternatives, created specifically so that cyclists can avoid some of the more difficult or technical hiking sections. These alternatives run along country or minor roads and, after overcoming the difficulties involved, they return to the hiking route.
All the routes are signposted: the hiking routes have their own signs and the BTT alternatives have international MTB signs supervised by IMBA Spain.
The Way of El Cid does not require specific technical skills and the routes are suitable for all cyclists who are familiar with long distances. Even so, there are sections which, owing to the type of road and the ups and downs, may require cyclists to pedal harder and even get off their bikes and walk. These sections are usually short and run through very attractive countryside; they are signposted and clearly identified in our BTT guides, which can be downloaded free.
The datasheet of each route contains specific information and are linked to the free download of the guides, maps, tracks, stamping points and accommodation, etc.
In the section on practical information, you will find help on how to transport your bicycle and a list of bike repair shops on the Way of El Cid.
The MTB routes on the Way of El Cid offer a unique opportunity to cross Spain through quiet, safe areas while learning about the country's history and customs in a way you had never imagined:
- 1 day: Anillo de Gallocanta / Gallocanta Circular route (Zaragoza - Teruel). Difficulty: low-medium.
- 1 day: Ramal de Álvar Fáñez / The route of Álvar Fáñez (Guadalajara). Difficulty: low-medium.
- 4 days: La Defensa del Sur / Defending the South (Valencia - Alicante). Difficulty: low-medium.
- 4 days: La Conquista de Valencia / The Conquest of Valencia (Teruel - Castellón - Valencia). Difficulty: low-medium.
- 5 days: Tierras de frontera / The Border Lands (Soria - Guadalajara - Zaragoza). Difficulty: low-medium.
- 6 days: El Destierro / The Exile (Burgos - Soria - Guadalajara). Difficulty: low-medium.
- 6 days: Las tres Taifas / The three Taifas (Zaragoza - Guadalajara - Teruel). Difficulty: medium.
Rev. JGG 2.9.2017