Way of El Cid: routes on MTB

 The Way of El Cid for mountain bikes, all-terrain bikes, cross country bikes and all mountain bikes is 1509 km long. It is separated into 7 routes that are joined together, each of between 49 and 313 km.

29” hybrid or trekking bikes with knobs can also travel along this route, although for the most difficult sections we recommend taking the cycling tourism route along minor roads.

The MTB route follows 88% of the hiking route. The remaining 12% is covered along signposted MTB alternatives, created specifically so that cyclists can avoid some of the more difficult or technical hiking sections. These alternatives run along country or minor roads and, after overcoming the difficulties involved, they return to the hiking route.

  • Romanesque hermitage in Brías, Soria / ALC
  • Explanatory panels at the start of each MTB detour / ALC.
  • Travel safely and unhurriedly: take the tracks and route guide with you. The route guides indicate the levels of difficulty of each section and it is a good idea to check it out before starting each stage / UTM Desarrollos.
  • The MTB signs comply with the international criteria adopted in Spain by the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA), namely two circles and a red triangle / ALC.
  • On MTB detours or specific stretches – a total of some 200 km – specific MTB signposting is used / ALC.
  • BiCIDcling by the Way of el Cid / Roberto Álvarez.
  • Passing through spectacular sections with gorges and narrow valleys, which alternate with scrubland and crop fields, to the sea / ALC.
  • Sign posts indicate the direction to be taken and contain details of the distance from the town and the journey time. A mixed signposting system is used for MTB cycling routes: on stretches coinciding with the walking route – approximately 1,200 km in all – the hiking signposting system is used / ALC.
  • Our MTB route guides are free download. They contain technical and practical information, a description of the route, maps, gradients, difficulty, bicycle repair shops, stamping points and relevant milestones, etc.
  • Discovering unlikely places. Pelegrina´s castle, province of Guadalajara / ALC.
  • On MTB detours specific MTB signposting is used / ALC.
  • Markers indicate that you are on the route and generally feature the Way of El Cid Consortium logo, as well as two bands or lines in colours that depend on the type of path you are following / ALC.
  • Take the tourist brochures with you. These can be free obtained at any of the tourist information offices on the route. Only available in Spanish / ALC.
  • Colaboramos con IMBA España en la señalización de las rutas / ALC
  • The Way of El Cid does not require specific technical skills and the routes are suitable for all MTB cyclists who are familiar with long distances. Even so, there are sections which, owing to the type of road and the ups and downs, may require cyclists to pedal harder! / ALC
  • Taking a break / ALC.
  • Harder and more intense: The Way of el Cid, also in winter / ALC.
Signposting

All the routes are signposted: the hiking routes have their own signs and the BTT alternatives have international MTB signs supervised by IMBA Spain.

Difficulty

The Way of El Cid does not require specific technical skills and the routes are suitable for all cyclists who are familiar with long distances. Even so, there are sections which, owing to the type of road and the ups and downs, may require cyclists to pedal harder and even get off their bikes and walk. These sections are usually short and run through very attractive countryside; they are signposted and clearly identified in our BTT guides, which can be downloaded free.

The datasheet of each route contains specific information and are linked to the free download of the guides, maps, tracks, stamping points and accommodation, etc..

The routes

The MTB routes on the Way of El Cid offer a unique opportunity to cross Spain through quiet, safe areas while learning about the country's history and customs in a way you had never imagined: 

Rev. ALC 06.06.17