Church and monastery of Santo Domingo de Guzmán


6, Santo Domingo St.. Caleruega


947 53 40 61 - Monastery

The church of the monastery began to be built in 1266 by order of King Alfonso X the Wise. In the sixteenth century a new church was built and the original chapel and the head of the Gothic church were destroyed. The church has a single nave and cruciform plan.

From the sacristy one descends to the crypt, built in the middle of the 20th century, that keeps the remains of Father Manuel Suárez in a funerary monument escorted by four monks. In the crypt is the "Pocito", in the same place where, according to tradition, Santo Domingo was born.

The cloister of the monastery was built between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries. It preserves remains of the different stages of its construction such as the low cloister with semicircular arches over paired columns and a Gothic door. There, you can visit a museum with pieces of high artistic and historical interest, such as the polychrome stone gothic carvings of the Virgin and the Angel Anunciador.

Visit: With entrance, consult visiting hours and prices in the Convent and Monastery of Santo Domingo.

WarningThe following text has been translated with the help of automated translation software. It will be replaced by a professional human translation as soon as possible.

Rev. ALC: 13.09.18